They have everywhere…
These allergens can be swallowed, inhaled, injected, or lathered outside skin.
- In the air, we breathe: In addition to oxygen, the air contains many other substances can be harmful to our health. One of them is the allergens, substances may become the allergens in sensitive people. The allergies are usually caused by allergens fly hovering in the air include: allergic rhinitis, bronchial asthma, allergic conjunctivitis eyes. These allergens are usually harmless, it can onset an allergic reaction in sensitive people when inhaling:
- Pollen: from trees, grass…
- Animal products such as hair, skin, urine…
- Insects: cockroaches…
- What are we eating: When food or medicine is swallowed into the body. The allergens follow the bloodstream and attach to IgE molecules in the cells of the away areas as the skin and nasal mucosa. The ability to move through the bloodstream of the allergens explains why they can cause symptoms in away areas instead of in the gastrointestinal tract. The symptoms of food allergy may start with symptoms of swelling of the tongue and throat, then numbness, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and may have symptoms in the skin and nasal mucosa. Two groups of this type of allergens include:
- Drugs: e.g. antibiotics, aspirin (oral)
- Food: Type of food allergy is: milk, fish, shellfish such as shrimp, crab, oyster, crab.., egg, soybean, wheat…
- What is the skin contact: Contacting dermatitis due to allergy. This is reactions in place on the skin, not relating to IgE, relating to the inflammatory cells. Some allergens (e.g. Plastic) after contacting with the skin, they are absorbed into the skin, not likely cause all body reactions. It lives only in the skin. The most common allergens include:
- Plastic: Can or can not cause react with IgE (e.g. Plastic gloves)
- Tree (e.g. Gardenia, oak trees, ivy trees)
- Metal (Nickel)
- Contacting dermatitis due to allergy not relate to IgE antibodies. It relates to the cells of the immune system which can be onset by allergens. The touching or rubbing things make your skin are formerly sensitive, it can be red rash.
- What can be we injected: The most heavy reactions occur when allergens are injected into our bodies and directly go into the bloodstream (e.g. Intravenous injection). That will bring risk of all body reactions such as anaphylaxis that can be life-threatening. The allergens by injection tract may cause seriously allergic. The reactions are the most common:
- Venom of insects, animals: e.g. bees, snakes
- Hormone (endocrine). Egg insulin
How to treat allergies?
It is best to avoid contact with the allergens that you have known formerly (e.g. Previously allergic to eat crabs). This is very important for food and medication allergy.
- The antihistamines have short effected, you can buy outside pharmacies. It can reduce the symptoms from mild to medium and can also cause drowsiness. Some type drugs can affect a child’s learning ability. E.g. Group of drugs include diphenhydramine (Benadryl), loratadine (Claritin).
- Antihistamines last the effect, you must be prescribed by a doctor. We don’t usually affect the learning ability of children, including groups such as fexofenadine (Allegra), Cetirizine (Zyrtec). Generally, antihistamine effect last and less drowsiness than other drugs.
The nasal spray:
- The nasal sprays contain a corticosteroid. It can be effective in people who have symptoms after taking off the antihistamines. These drugs must be prescribed by a doctor
- Nasal spray belongs to antihistamines new generation group such as Azelastine (Astelin) is used for people with seasonal or environmental allergy.
- The decongestants can help you reduce symptoms of nasal congestion. However, you don’t use the nasal spray decongestants many days, they can cause “bounced” effects and make the badly congestive situation. The anti-decongestants drugs of tablet form don’t cause this phenomenon.
- The leukotriene inhibitors prevent specific substances, likely onset an allergic reaction. Montelukast (Singulair) must be prescribed by a doctor and uses for people with asthma who are allergic indoor and outdoor.
- The allergic injection (immunotherapy) is sometimes used in cases of the unavoidable allergens or difficult to control the symptoms. Allergy injections help your body not overreact to the allergens. The injection of the allergens is carried out regularly with each dose later higher than previous dose, to reach the maximum dose. This method is not always effective in everyone and should be monitored by your doctor regularly.
The cases of heavy allergy such as anaphylaxis can use epinephrine to help save the patients. If using when anaphylaxis occurs.
The allergens live usually on the skin. When you contact with strange things, you can be allergic. You should go to see your doctor to find some kinds of drug used in allergic treatment.